Monday, January 12, 2009

My Pantry?


I was browsing around some of my favorite blogs and found Jen over a Sprite'sKeeper http://www.spriteskeeper.com/ (I REALLY need to learn to link!) having a sort of pantry war! I'm rather crazy about keeping my pantry organized, but it doesn't always happen thanks to the many hands who raid it continually! My pantry is a little low right now I really need to go shopping but.....maybe a soon as my allergies release the pressure on my head!! I really have to brag on my wonderful husband for my wonderful pantry, he improved my flimsy metal shelves into these sturdy wooden shelves with tons more space. My I'm begging for a matching set on the opposite wall for the canners and empty jars. With 7 kiddo who are always hungry we need a big space for all the grub, this room was originally a porch that was enclosed before we bought the house. Now that we have added on to the house this room sits off the kitchen and make the perfect pantry. A matching fridge and freezer set sits by the door and is really handy. All the coffee tubs are just storage containers, they come to me free from my grandparents and make wonderful storage tubs.

I usually shop about twice a month and buy in bulk if it's on sale. The Aldi's store in town in one of may favorite bargain grocery stores. I recently found a canned veggie sale at a near by grocery store though and we became the joke of the moment to all the shelf stockers who watched as we unloaded the shelves into our carts and headed for the check out isle. The joke is really on them though when they turn around and have to restock those holes I left behind! LOL! We shop at Sam's some too, but I always have my calculator handy, it isn't always cheaper to buy it by the gallon. Although I love that a big box of toilet paper will last over 3 months!! The Dollar General store has redone their stores here and now have some great grocery isles too.

Well, I'm just playing around and better get back to work! Ha! Anyone else want to show their pantry? How often do you shop? Do you shop in bulk?

9 comments:

Courtney, Jer.33:3 said...

Mrs. Katie,
Just a note to thank you for stopping by my blog the other day! I've been "out" of blogging for a couple of weeks now, but hope to be back in the swing of things soon! :)

9ndhouse- Katie said...

Thank you for your comment Courtney! I'm so glad to have found your blog. I'll be praying for you and your husband. You are a beautiful couple. God Bless.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Katie, your shelves are immaculate! I am forwarding your site to Michele at It's A Dog's Life. She MUST see this! If I had a pantry "room".. oh, the possibilities are endless! Of course, if I had seven kids, I would need the pantry for mostly food related items. Again, your shelves are more nicely stocked than most grocery stores! Hope your New Year is going well!

Evenspor said...

I am wimping out on the pantry thing, because it is not as organized right now as I normally would like to have it. However, everyone's posts might motivate me to go organize it. They also made me appreciate again today when I walked into it the great shelves my husband built so that we can store more and organize more easily. It is so nice having a handyman husband, isn't it?

Michele said...

Katie, I bow down to your pantry. I think I can safely say You Are Winning! A whole room! How cool is that?

9ndhouse- Katie said...

Hey ya'll! I wasn't trying to win or anything! Lol! I wouldn't have needed such a room if it wasn't for all the kiddos! I just got lucky and this came up on a good day! We still have those days where we need to weed out the left behind empty boxes and trash that gets left behind. The worst is when a potato tries to roll away to hide under something then it dies and stinks worse than.....a dead thing that stinks!!!!
Evenspor, I have to agree having a handy man for a husband is for sure a wonderful thing!! He claims to be a welder and protests anything made of wood but I think he did a marvelous job with my shelves! If I ever figure out a way to weld wood we'd be set for life! Now, if I can just get him to build me that matching set on the other wall!!!!

9ndhouse- Katie said...

OH MY! Michael just read this post and showed me all the mistakes I made in my writing! I'll blame on the computer of course, must have messed up when I added the photos! Lol! He loves it when he can correct my spell'n! :-)

Nikki said...

Katie, you can get my email address if you go to my profile page. I will for sure add you.

Your pantry looks AWESOME, I MISS mine back in NC, but SOON and VERY soon I will have it back...YAY!!!!!!

Kim Moldofsky said...

A pantry room? I'm in awe. But I guess you do have a pretty big crowd to feed.